Monday, March 10, 2008

Jumbo Yo-Yo Quilt

A long time ago, prior to a move to my current home, and in an attempt to rid myself of extra "stuff", I got rid of a yo-yo quilt. Of course, it was half done, my usual standard back then. After all, being a busy working mom with a young son and no real time to sew, I knew I would never finish it. So off it went to charity. Forward 15 years...I still yearn for my quilt. I would even finish it if I could get my hands on it. Yes, I promise, really I would.



Today...My new Jumbo Yo-Yo Quilt is almost done. I'm excited. Actually, I'm crazy with excitement...tickled pink, yellow, green and blue. Of course, I just had to give it a test run on my bed to see what it would look like when it was finished. How funny that it actually matches the granny square afghan that I made this past December. I guess I must be partial to these colors. I've wanted to do this for so many years but admit to being too lazy to even start. I knew it was going to take dedication and tons of hand stitching to come to fruition. But here it is and I'm finding it difficult to contain my excitement. I'm having so much fun making this quilt. It's taking shape really fast because each completed yo-yo is 4-inches in diameter. I stuffed each yo-yo with fiber fill to create a nice loftiness to the quilt. It's so soft and delicious. Oooooh, I have yearned for this for so many years!




And of course, the resident kitty came to do his inspection. I passed. He said so. Meowwww....




Here is a close-up of the deliciousness.




And also a close-up using a penny for size comparison.

I will follow this post with a tutorial. I'm finding it a bit of a challenge to describe and photograph each step clearly. I apologize in advance for any confusion you may encounter. If you have any questions, please feel free to post in the comment section and I will answer as promptly as possibe. For now, have a fun, yo-yo filled kinda day! I insist.

Aloha!

2 comments:

Rowena said...

It's beautiful Lettie...and boy was I wrong on guessing in the previous post!! I'm curious to see your upcoming tutorial -- you sure put a lot of work in this!

Regarding your comment: “At first glance, it kinda reminds me of short little asparagus spears.” - Good eyes! I've seen this type of chicory also named cicoria asparago. I'll be updating the post with links to the italian cooking forums that I like.

Marzia Melloni said...

It's beautiful!! Che lavoro!!
Smak Marzia